Brody Brecht throws another gem as Iowa defeats Indiana 7-1 in series opener
Sophomore allows just two hits and one run over career-high seven innings
BLOOMINGTON, Indiana – The University of Iowa baseball team defeated Indiana, 7-1, on Friday night at Bart Kaufman Field.
“Our guys set the tone with a two out rally to get a run in the first,” said head coach Rick Heller. “On a night when the wind was blowing in, who knows what is going to happen. Brennen Dorighi had a really good night, hits a home run into the teeth of the wind and should have had another one on a normal day. He really clutched up well for us.”
Brody Brecht got the start for the Hawkeyes and earned the win throwing a career-high seven innings. He stuck out seven and allowed one run on two hits.
“We got a great start out of Brody Brecht,” said Heller. “Deepest he has gone into a game and kept his pitch count down. Was getting weak contact early in the count. That was great to see.”
Jacob Henderson came in and struck out six to close out the game.
“Jacob Henderson six punchouts in the last two innings,” said Heller. “Shutting the door and us adding runs to give us the insurance. Couldn’t have been a better Friday night.”
Three Hawkeyes had multi-hit games in the contest. Brennen Dorighi was 2-for-3 with a solo home run. Raider Tello was 2-for-4 with two RBIs and Michael Seegers was 2-for-4. Brayden Frazier and Kyle Huckstorf each had two RBIs.
The Hawkeyes out hit Indiana 9-4 and hit .400 with runners in scoring position.
- The Hawkeyes improve to 22-6 and 2-2 in the Big Ten.
- Kyle Huckstorf has 14 career RBIs against the Hoosiers in four games played.
- Head coach Rick Heller tallied his 298th win as a Hawkeye and is two wins away from becoming the third Hawkeye head coach to reach 300 wins (Duane Banks and Otto Vogel). He is 12 wins away from 1,000 career wins.
- Brennen Dorighi’s home run was his fifth of the year.
- Brecht recorded his first career quality start and the first for the Hawkeyes this year.
The Hawkeyes face Indiana in game two of the series at 11 a.m. (CT) tomorrow. The game will be broadcast on BTN and the Hawkeye Radio Network.
— Iowa Baseball (@UIBaseball) April 8, 2023