Big Ten announces 2022-23 women’s basketball schedules
Defending Big Ten champion Iowa will play five league teams twice and eight teams once
IOWA CITY, Iowa — The University of Iowa, in conjunction with the Big Ten Conference, announced its 2022-23 women’s basketball schedule on Wednesday.
The defending Big Ten Champions will play five league teams twice and eight teams once. The Hawkeyes play home/away matchups against Indiana, Maryland, Nebraska, Penn State and Wisconsin. Iowa hosts Minnesota, Purdue, Northwestern and Rutgers in Carver-Hawkeye Arena, and travels to Illinois, Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State.
The Hawkeyes posted a 14-4 Big Ten regular season mark in 2022, winning the Big Ten Tournament and earning a share of the conference regular season championship. Iowa finished the 2021-22 campaign 24-8 overall and advanced to the NCAA Second Round.
Iowa returns 11 letterwinners, including all five starters: Caitlin Clark, Monika Czinano, Gabbie Marshall, Kate Martin and McKenna Warnock. Clark was a consensus All-American, Nancy Lieberman Point Guard of the Year, Dawn Staley Guard of the Year, Big Ten Player of the Year, Big Ten Tournament MVP and was a finalist for the Naismith Award, WBCA Wade Trophy and John R. Wooden Award. Czinano was named an Associated Press and WBCA All-America honorable mention, and was a Lisa Leslie Center of the Year semifinalist, while leading the nation in field-goal percentage (.679).
Fans can purchase season tickets ($125), at the UI Athletics Ticket Office at Carver-Hawkeye Arena, over the phone at 1-800-IA-HAWKS, or online at hawkeyesports.com/tickets. Fight For Iowa mobile pass tickets ($199) will go on sale late September. Single game tickets will go on sale in early October.
Tip time and television information will be announced at a later date.
- Iowa will open the regular season with consecutive home games (Southern and Evansville).
- Iowa has a stretch of five straight home contests in December (Iowa State, Minnesota, Northern Iowa, Dartmouth and Purdue).
- Seven of Iowa’s final 10 regular season games are scheduled against teams that finished in the Big Ten upper division a year ago, including twice against Indiana, Maryland and Nebraska, and a single game at Ohio State.
- Iowa has seven weekend home contests (three on Saturdays and four on Sundays) this season, including five against Big Ten opponents. The Hawkeyes have home games inside Carver-Hawkeye Arena on a Saturday or Sunday three of the final four weekends of the regular season.
- The Hawkeyes will play back-to-back conference road games four times.
- Iowa is scheduled to play at Illinois on New Year’s Day. The last time the Hawkeyes played on New Year’s Day was 2006, also in Champaign against the Fighting Illini.
- Iowa is scheduled to play Nebraska-Kearney in an exhibition the evening of Oct. 28.
2022-23 IOWA WOMEN’S BASKETBALL SCHEDULE
Fri., Oct. 28 Nebraska-Kearney (exhibition)
Mon., Nov. 7 Southern University
Thurs., Nov. 10 Evansville
Sun., Nov. 13 at Drake
Thurs., Nov. 17 at Kansas State
Sun., Nov. 20 Belmont
Fri., Nov. 25 vs. Oregon State ^
Sat., Nov. 26 vs. Duke/UConn ^
Thurs., Dec. 1 N.C. State %
Sun., Dec. 4 at Wisconsin*
Wed., Dec. 7 Iowa State +
Sat., Dec. 10 Minnesota*
Sun., Dec. 18 Northern Iowa
Wed., Dec. 21 Dartmouth
Thurs., Dec. 29 Purdue*
Sun., Jan. 1 at Illinois *
Sat., Jan. 7 at Michigan*
Wed., Jan. 11 Northwestern*
Sat., Jan. 14 Penn State*
Wed., Jan. 18 at Michigan State*
Mon., Jan. 23 at Ohio State*
Sat., Jan. 28 Nebraska*
Thurs., Feb. 2 Maryland*
Sun., Feb. 5 at Penn State*
Thurs., Feb. 9 at Indiana*
Sun., Feb. 12 Rutgers*
Wed., Feb. 15 Wisconsin*
Sat., Feb. 18 at Nebraska*
Tues., Feb. 21 at Maryland*
Sun., Feb. 26 Indiana*
Wed.-Sun., March 1-5 at Big Ten Tournament (Minneapolis)
^ — Phil Knight Legacy College Basketball Tournament (Portland, Oregon)
% — ACC/Big Ten Women’s Basketball Challenge
+ — Iowa Corn Cy-Hawk Series
* — Big Ten Conference game