No. 6 Iowa women loses big at No. 7 Maryland
28-point loss gives Indiana Big Ten regular-season title
COLLEGE PARK, MD – The nationally-ranked Iowa women’s basketball fell to No. 7 Maryland, 96-68 on Tuesday night inside the XFINITY Center. The Hawkeyes are now, 22-6, overall and, 14-3, in the Big Ten Conference, which gives them the double-bye in the Big Ten Tournament.
National Player of the Year Caitlin Clark finished with a team-high 18 points, five rebounds, four assists, and two blocks. Gabbie Marshall had the hot hand tonight, netting a season-high five 3-point goals to finish with 15 points. Sydney Affolter registered a career-high 14 points and eight rebounds.
The Hawkeyes buried four 3-pointers in the first quarter to take a, 20-19, lead heading into the second. The Terrapins had a huge second quarter and never looked back, taking an 18-point lead at halftime.
Marshall had a quarter-high nine points in the third to help keep Iowa in the game, but it wasn’t enough for the Hawkeyes.
- Lisa Bluder has led the Hawkeyes to seven straight 20-win seasons.
- Bluder has at least 14 Big Ten wins in four out of the last five seasons.
- Clark extended her streak of scoring in double figures an astounding 80 games, which is a NCAA Division I best.
- Clark has netted a 3-point basket in 47 straight games. She has hit at least one 3-pointer in 88 career games.
- Clark is the only player in the nation with more than 730 points, 200 rebounds, 200 assists, and 40 steals this season.
Make sure to follow Iowa women’s basketball on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook (@IowaWBB) for news and updates all season long.
The Hawkeyes are set to travel to No. 2 Indiana on Feb. 26. ESPN College GameDay Covered by State Farm will also be hosting their show live from Carver-Hawkeye Arena from 10 a.m. to 11a.m. (CT). Doors will open to ticketed fans at 9 a.m. and guests are encouraged to sit in sections B-AA. Iowa and Indiana will tip at 1 p.m. and Senior Day activities will follow.