IDPH Releases Cause of Death Findings for Sash
The Iowa Department of Public Health Tuesday morning released its findings for the cause of death for former Iowa Hawkeyes and New York Giants Safety Tyler Sash.
On September 9, 2015 an autopsy was performed by the Iowa Office of the State Medical Examiner on the body of Tyler Sash, age 27. After receipt of laboratory test results, the cause and manner of death was determined to be due to an accidental mixed drug toxicity involving methadone and hydrocodone. A recent shoulder dislocation and a history of chronic shoulder pain were also significant conditions. Additional studies for chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), a degenerative disease of the brain found in athletes with a history of repetitive brain trauma, are pending and will be completed in approximately eight to twelve months.
Sash was found unresponsive at his house in his hometown of Oskaloosa, Iowa on Sept. 8. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
The news sent shock-waves through the Iowa football community, who remembered Sash, a former all-American and all-Big Ten performer, as one of the most exciting Hawkeye players of his era. He went on to win a Super Bowl with the Giants in 2011.
Sash started 37 games for Iowa from 2008-10. His 13 interceptions ranked fifth in Hawkeye history.