Iowa FB recruiting update: One more scholarship might be available
IOWA CITY, Iowa – With exception to the month of June when a record 16 players committed to the Iowa football team’s 2016 recruiting class, life on the recruiting front has mostly been quiet this season.
It’s hard to know what kind of impact Iowa’s 12-1 record has had on recruiting because the 2016 class was almost full when the season started in late August.
Iowa currently has 24 players committed to its 2016 recruiting class, the most recent pledge coming from Cedar Rapids Kennedy tight end Shaun Beyer. He had been committed to North Dakota State before switching to the Hawkeyes on Nov. 25.
The 6-foot-5, 200-pound Beyer also had a scholarship offer from Nebraska and was scheduled to be a guest for the Cornhuskers for the regular-season finale against Iowa on Nov. 27 in Lincoln, Neb. However, Beyer cancelled his visit after Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz offered him a scholarship.
Iowa is believed to have just one more scholarship available for the 2016 class, but that could change now that redshirt freshman defensive lineman Terrence Harris reportedly has left the team. The first hint that Harris was gone came on Thursday when he started posting again on Twitter.
Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz prohibits his players from being on Twitter. So it’s usually a good sign when a player resurfaces on Twitter that he has left the team.
Harris’ tweet also suggested that he was looking to go elsewhere.
“What’s the next step on this journey,” Harris said on Twitter.
A native of Englewood, N.J., Harris has been buried on the depth chart since joining the Iowa team in 2014. He was redshirted as a true freshman last season and hasn’t played in any games this season.
It’s also unlikely that Harris would’ve played much next season, considering Iowa has three starters returning on the defensive line. That number would jump to four if all-Big Ten defensive end Drew Ott is granted a medical redshirt for next season.
Speaking of Twitter, Detroit native Cedrick Lattimore, who committed to Iowa on May 18, tweeted on Friday that he was blessed to have recently received a scholarship offer from Big Ten champion Michigan State. Lattimore said his commitment to Iowa still is solid, but it won’t become official until he signs a national letter of intent in February.
Lattimore’s high school teammate, Chauncey Golston, is also committed to the Hawkeyes, but doesn’t have a Michigan State offer at this point. Golston and Lattimore both are expected to play defensive end for Iowa.
It appears that South Dakota offensive lineman Matt Farniok and Detroit offensive lineman Alaric Jackson are Iowa’s top two remaining targets for the 2016 class, although, it’s hard to know for sure because so much happens behind the scenes and because recruiting is fluid.
The Iowa coaches also are prohibited from commenting publicly about a recruit before the recruit has signed a letter of intent.
Farniok is reportedly trying to choose between Iowa, Nebraska, Florida State and Michigan State, while the 6-7, 285-pound Jackson is considering Iowa, Michigan State, Nebraska and Wisconsin.
HAWKS ON TOP: Texas high school running back Eno Benjamin caused a stir recently when he announced on Twitter that Iowa was his favorite school.
“There is a lot of time before I graduate, but right now my number one school is the University of Iowa,” Benjamin posted Tuesday on Twitter.
The 5-9, 200-pound Benjamin is a junior at East High School in Wylie, Texas. He has at least a dozen scholarship offers from schools that include Iowa, Houston, Miami (Fla.), Northwestern, Texas Tech and Duke.
Iowa already has four high school juniors committed to its 2017 class, all of whom are from instate. They are North Fayette defensive tackle Juan Harris, Madrid defensive end Coy Kirkpatrick, Mount Vernon offensive lineman Tristan Wirfs and Solon tight end Jacob Coons, who committed last Saturday.