By Pat Harty
IOWA CITY, Iowa – With finals week starting on Monday at the University of Iowa, this seems a good time to test Iowa fans about their knowledge of Hawkeye sports.
So here are 15 questions about multiple sports that should make you think. The answers are listed below the questions, so yes, it would be easy to cheat.
But why do that?
Instead, test your knowledge, see where you stand and have some fun with it.
And good luck.
- One of these seven former Iowa running backs did not rush for at least 1,300 yards in a season. Name that running back. Albert Young, Marcus Coker, Ronnie Harmon, Sedrick Shaw, Shonn Greene, Tavian Banks and Fred Russell.
2. Match the former Iowa quarterback with the school to which he transferred.
- Dan McGwire
- Nic Shimonek
- Jake Christensen
- Larry Lawrence
A. Texas Tech
B. Miami (Fla).
C. San Diego State
D. Eastern Illinois
3. Match the former Iowa men’s basketball player with the school he attended before transferring to Iowa.
- Michael Ingram
- Sam Okey
- Matt Bullard
- David Palmer
A. Seton Hall
4. Former Iowa men’s basketball coach Tom Davis was the head coach at three of the following four schools: Lafayette, Stanford, Hofstra, Drake. Which school did he not serve as head coach?
5. One of these former Iowa football players did not make first-team All-Big Ten. Name that player: Mike Jones, Dace Richardson, Jonathon Hayes, Brandon Myers.
6. Which one of these four former Iowa football players was the first to be selected in the NFL draft under Kirk Ferentz? Eric Thigpen, Kerry Cooks, Austin Wheatley, Matt Bowen.
7. Tim Dwight returned five punts for touchdowns as a Hawkeye. Name the five teams that he scored against.
8. Name the one past or current Iowa student-athlete on this list who isn’t from the state of Ohio: Ricky Stanzi, Alex Marinelli, Megan Skouby, Geno Stone, Ray Hamilton.
9. Which one of these former Iowa football players was not selected in the first round of the NFL draft? Tom Knight, Craig Clemons, Riley Reiff, Bob Sanders.
10. Match the former Iowa women’s basketball player with her hometown.
- Michelle Edwards
- Nicole Tunsil
- Cara Consuegra
- Toni Foster
B. Boston, Mass.
C. Mount Airy, Maryland
D. St. Petersburg, Fla.
11. True or false: The Iowa football team scored 14 or fewer points in all but one of the nine games in Forest Evashevski’s first season as head coach in 1952.
12. Which one of these former Iowa basketball players never led the team in scoring for a season? Candy LaPrince, Rick Williams, Glenn Vidnovic, Ricky Davis.
13. Match the former Iowa football player with the school to which he was committed before switching to the Hawkeyes.
- Albert Young
- Riley Reiff
- Ben Niemann
- Tanner Miller
A. Northern Iowa
D. Northern Illinois
14. Name the one former Iowa football player on this list who isn’t from the state of Texas: Demo Odems, Tyrone Boudreaux, Eddie Polly, Ozzie Simmons, Charles Godfrey.
15. Which one of these four former Iowa wrestlers didn’t win a national title? Troy Steiner, Derek St. John, Lee Fullhart, Mike DeAnna.
- Ronnie Harmon
2. 1-C, 2-A, 3-D, 4-B
3. 1-B, 2-C, 3-D, 4-A
5. Jonathon Hayes
6. Tight end Austin Wheatley was selected in the fifth round of the 2000 NFL draft by the New Orleans Saints.
7. Tim Dwight returned punts for touchdowns against Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, Indiana and Minnesota.
8. Former Iowa defensive back Geno Stone is from New Castle, Pennsylvania
9. Bob Sanders was selected in the second round of the 2004 NFL draft by the Indianapolis Colts
10. 1-B, 2-D, 3-C, 4-A
12. Glenn Vidnovic
13. 1-B, 2-C, 3-D, 4-A
14. Defensive back Eddie Polly was from Oklahoma City.
15. Mike DeAnna finished runner-up twice at the NCAA Championships and third as a freshman.