IOWA CITY, Iowa — University of Iowa senior linebacker Nick Jackson has been named to the 2023 Lombardi Award Watch List.
Former Hawkeyes Tyler Linderbaum and Adrian Clayborn were finalists for the Lombardi Award in 2021 and 2010, respectively. Six other former Hawkeyes have been semifinalists for the honor: Jack Campbell (2022), Brandon Scherff (2014), Robert Gallery (2003), Jared DeVries (1998), Mike Devlin (1992), and Jeff Drost (1986).
Jackson (6-foot-1, 234 pounds), who is also a candidate for the 2023 Dick Butkus Award, will compete in his first year with the Hawkeyes this fall after transferring from the University of Virginia. The Hawkeye senior was named second-team All-ACC by the conference and Associated Press after leading the team in tackles (104) and quarterback hurries (4) and ranking second in sacks (5) a year ago. The Atlanta native was named Virginia’s defensive MVP following the 2022 campaign.
The Lombardi Award goes annually to the college football offensive or defensive lineman who exemplifies the character and discipline of NFL Hall of Fame Head Coach Vince Lombardi in addition to outstanding performance and ability.
Semifinalists for the Lombardi Award will be announced Nov. 1, while the four finalists will be unveiled Nov. 15. The winner of the Lombardi Award will be announced on Dec. 6.
The Hawkeyes open their season on Sept. 2 against Utah State. The sold-out game is set for an 11 a.m. (CT) kickoff.
HAWKEYES ON 2023 WATCH LISTS
- Erick All – John Mackey Award (TE)
- Cooper DeJean – Bronko Nagurski Trophy (D-POY) // Chuck Bednarik Award (D-POY) // Jim Thorpe Award (DB) // Paul Hornung Award (Versatility)
- Nick Jackson – Dick Butkus Award (LB) // Lombardi Award (Most Outstanding DL/OL)
- Kaleb Johnson – Doak Walker Award (RB)
- Logan Jones – Rimington Trophy (C)
- Luke Lachey – John Mackey Award (TE)
- Cade McNamara – Maxwell Award (POY)
- Drew Stevens – Lou Groza Award (PK)
- Tory Taylor – Ray Guy Award (P)